Re: devel/git and devel/git-base are confusing

> Am 13.07.2019 um 15:22 schrieb Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>:
>
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 08:12:09AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I really don't see how we can arrange things so that a large number of
>> people with different preconceived notions can guess correctly without
>> reading the dozen-line files provided to explain things to them.
>
> Conservative defaults is the answer. And what is conservative depends on
> what people are used to in a given community.

Conservative in the sense of we have some habits that we like to stick to.

> NetBSD/pkgsrc communities are conservative in terms of installing minimal
> things. (Or so I believe.)

Yeah, maybe.  I just use the *-base packages to install base functionality.
As of today, we have 36 such packages including wip.

> If such a community gives me a package named git, having been used to
> their conservativeness (as perceived by me and mentioned above), I'd not
> expect it to be bloated with gui.

While you are expecting that, I beg to differ in that I expect that only when a package is not a meta-package in that it hat an accompanying -base or some sort of sub-packages.
But I build everything from source, so I don’t know the implications of using things like pkgin might have on my mindset.

Cheers
	Oskar