Re: Python package issues

Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> writes:

> Sometimes you can't. If you have a package chain that depends on the
> py27 and py37 version of the same package you can't do a make clean in
> between. Only fix here is for pkgsrc to do a make clean after make
> install for packages being installed as dependencies.

The other change, that has has some discussion, is to make WRKDIR be
work-$PKGNAME or something like that, for all packages that have
versions.

It is an interesting suggestion to have the dependency call be "make
package-install clean" instead of just "make package-install".  We have
generally avoided implicit cleans, but I'm not sure that's helpful on
balance.

> I ran into a similar issue trying to build xfce4 in a chroot. gtk2
> blew up as its dependency chain included python 2.7 and python 3.7
> versions of the same package.
>
> I've still got the error log from the build in my jenkins server if
> you want complete output.

No need; the problems are understood in theory :-)

Most people just nuke all the work dirs and build again, and then it
works.  If you have something where

loop:
  make package-install
  # observe failure
  rm -rf /usr/pkgsrc/*/*/work
  goto loop

doesn't converge pretty quickly, that's much more interesting.