Re: Is pkgsrc on an ageing/obsolete Linux distro a good idea?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 at 11:11, Carsten Strotmann <carsten%strotmann.de@localhost> wrote:

> I'm using pkgsrc to keep old Linux (and MacOS X) installations running
> with modern binaries. These are Linux systems that have a customized
> kernel for the hardware where it is very hard or impossible to get a
> modern distro running.
>
> Most, but not all pkgsrc packages will compile on an old Linux. At some
> point you might need to compile a new libc yourself.
>
> On a Thinkpad, it should not be a big issue to run a modern Distro. I
> have Slackware running on a Thinkpad T20, Void-Linux on an Thinkpad X41
> and Debian 10 (unstable) on an Thinkpad X40.
>
> On an Thinkpad, it not before from before 2000, I would recommend
> installing a Distro that still supports the i386 architecture
> (Slackware, Void and Debian do, as do others). Alternatives are OpenBSD
> and NetBSD. I have OpenBSD 6.5 running on an Thinkpad 600.

I've eventually upgraded m system to LMDE3, but I'm having all sorts
of errors, guess by what? Systemd. This little devil is really a
source of pain and sorrow.

BTW: I mistakenly sent my email to pkgsrc-users%pkgsrc.org@localhost instead of
pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost.  I wonder how you could have possibly
received it.