Re: Issues with libtool-base After Upgrading Readline in 2019Q1

scole_mail <scole_mail%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> I ran into the same issue with NetBSD/i386/8.0/pkg_rolling-replace and
> for me believe the issue was caused by pkgsrc gawk having a dependency
> on pkgsrc readline, and gawk not being rebuilt after readline was
> updated from 7.0 to 8.0.  Sometime during the pkg_rolling-replace I
> found gawk wouldn't run anymore:
>
>> ldd /usr/pkg/bin/gawk*

So things to check are (but you can't after deleted it):

  $ pkg_info -B gawk
  [look for the unsafe_depends tag, which is set on all depending
  packages during a replace operation (with a differing version)]
  $ pkg_info gawk
  [read the dependency list]

  # pkg_admin rebuild-tree
  [read the output]
  This will register dependencies that are wrong.  pkgsrc *should*
  maintain things so that it never fixes anything, but we are not in
  that ideal world.

If your gawk package had a dependency on readline, but the readline
package was not registered as having gawk depend on it, then the replace
of readline would not update gawk's unsafe_depends.

Perhaps pkg_rr should run pkg_admin rebuild-tree.  Or probably there
should be a check-tree option and it should do that and error out if
something is wrong.

If you realize that you want gawk rebuilt, even if the unsafe_depends
tag isn't there, you can do two things;

  in pkgsrc/lang/gawk, just type 'make package replace clean'.  This is
  all pkg_rr does (for packages that are out of date or marked
  unsafe_depends.)

  pkg_admin set unsafe_depends=yes gawk
  or
  pkg_admin set rebuild=yes gawk

Either will instruct pkg_rr to rebuild gawk next time.  I use
rebuild=yes for when I just decide to build things; using unsafe_depends
is sort of remedial for the missing dependency.

On my netbsd-8 amd64 system, gawk is shown as depending on readline.
You shoudl run pkg_info on the new package and see what it says.   If
the currrent package has a dependency, then perhaps all is ok now, or
perhaps there was something odd in your environment when you built it
before.