Re: Create influxdb package

* On 2019-01-13 at 21:47 GMT, Attila Fülöp wrote:

> On 1/13/19 10:10 PM, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > * On 2019-01-13 at 20:12 GMT, Attila Fülöp wrote:
> >
> >> after getting influxdb to build on SmartOS, I'm planning to create a
> >> package for it.  I know that Jonathan worked on influxdb too, so i
> >> figure I should ask him first.
> >>
> >> @jperkin: How far did you get with the package? Is it OK if I continue
> >> your work?
> >>
> >> I also wonder where to put it, pkgsrc-joyent or pkgsrc-wip. Since it
> >> should work on linux and darwin as well (not tested) I guess the wip
> >> repo would be the proper place, right?
> >
> > My initial WIP was here:
> >
> >   https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/dc13448b9448dc4d895b1f29fa4a08f4f4c6ab52
>
> Sorry, I missed that, obviously looked in the wrong place. I'll have a
> look later and give you feedback.
>
> > I have some updates to this that I will try to push in the next couple
> > of days.  Note that this also introduces the go-dep infrastructure
> > that I'd like a final ok from others on after my latest changes.
>
> Well, go-dep is superseded by go modules integrated into go 1.11. Looks
> like many go packages are transitioning to go modules.  The next version
> of influxdb (2.8) will require a go module build.  For me influxdb 1.7.2
> build cleanly as a go module, so I think go modules should be preferred
> over dep, giving the additional benefit of avoiding an external
> dependency (but requiring at least go 1.11).

Ok, I know nothing about Go, so it would be interesting to know how
this avoids the dependency problems, specifically ensuring that all
dependencies are downloaded before the build begins.

> > Does influxdb have a release that includes the illumos fix yet?
>
> Influxdb was fine, the problem was with pkg/term for which i got a patch
> merged a couple of days ago. https://github.com/pkg/term/pull/41

Yes, but the version of pkg/term that it depended on (or a dependency
depended on, I don't remember) was older.

> > Once we have it working there's no reason we shouldn't push it
> > straight into pkgsrc rather than joyent or wip.
>
> Ak OK, I thought the workflow recommends to create new packages in wip
> first.

The only reason things go into wip is if people want to share packages
that aren't yet ready for pkgsrc, e.g. if they want to collaborate
without sending patches around, or if they are worked on by a member
of the community who doesn't have commit access to pkgsrc and they use
wip in order for it to be easily verified and imported.

Thanks,