Re: nghttp2 broken

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019, Greg Troxel wrote:
maya%netbsd.org@localhost writes:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:17:08PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
Its Makefile includes:
USE_LANGUAGES=          c c++14

You're going to need some value of GCC_REQD for c++14. I know that GCC 6
has it, but I don't know how far back it goes.

I was able to build it with 4.8.5.

I think I have figured out what's going on:

 the core library is actually in C

 configure finds the C preprocessor as 'gcc -E' fine

 when looking for something else c++ish (not checking sublanguage
 availability), it fails with --std=c++14

 the configure script, while looking for C++14, doesn't error out if
 not found

 theory, no evidence; when looking for CPPCXX, the value of CXX has
 --std, and therefore we end up at the last fallback

I have added GCC_REQD+= 6, and will commit that if it builds ok.

Race you to it :-)

I think with this branch we have arrived at a world where not having a
C++14 compiler is a big problem.

Support is in 4.9 apparently, with support finalised in 5 (it's the defaultfor 6):
https://isocpp.org/blog/2014/04/gcc-4.9.0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B14#Compiler_support

What's best practice for seeing GCC_REQD? The lowest version it will
compile with?

Seems to me that pkgsrc should know what GCC version is required for a
declared language (so c++14 should imply a minimum GCC_REQD).

--
Stephen