Re: Shared distfiles over NFS for several machines

On 10/22/18 4:47 PM, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2018-10-22 at 21:21 BST, Silas wrote:

I was just curious if some of you might have this problem: I have several
machines that build packages for different operating systems and
architectures.  Downloading distfiles over and over again doesn't sound a
good idea so I was thinking about having distfiles shared over NFS.  The
problem is that different machines might try to download the file at the
same time, possibly causing some conflict for the downloaded file.  AFAIK,
pkgsrc doesn't have anything like a lock for it, does it?
I use NFS for this, both in data centres with fast connectivity and at
home, and have probably only hit these issues once or twice in many
years.

They're easy to spot and fix, too.  Well worth the convenience in my
opinion.

If you really want to avoid it, I would think one could set a fetch flag in mk.conf, depending on FETCH_CMD, or even wrap the fetch command in a simple script to detect and deal with collisions.