Re: xscreensaver regressions?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018, John D. Baker wrote:

> A clue is that the only core file left now is "xscreensaver-get.core"
> which I believe is related to image loading.  It's not clear which of
> the "/usr/pkg/bin/xscreensaver-getimage*" executables this matches, if
> any.

I believe the core file name is truncated and the program to which it
refers is 'xscreensaver-getimage'.  The manual page indicates that it
is this program which determines from where images are loaded and if
none of the sources are enabled (desktop, video input, directory), it
generates the "colorbars" image with the xscreensaver logo superimposed
and supplies that to the display hack that requested an image be loaded.

As I have all image sources disabled, I should be getting the colorbars
with xscreensaver logo.  Instead, 'xscreensaver-getimage' dumps core.

Rebuilding "x11/xscreensaver" with

  CFLAGS+=-ggdb
  CXXFLAGS+=-ggdb
  INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes

in "mk.conf", a subsquent core file reveals:

Reading symbols from xscreensaver-getimage...done.
[New process 1]
Core was generated by `xscreensaver-get'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x000000000040a3cf in minixpm_to_ximage (dpy=dpy@entry=0x751f9891d000,
    visual=visual@entry=0x751f9893a400, colormap=colormap@entry=34,
    depth=depth@entry=24, transparent_color=<optimized out>, data=0x41cd68,
    data@entry=0x41c740 <logo_180_xpm>,
    width_ret=width_ret@entry=0x7f7fff93a140,
    height_ret=height_ret@entry=0x7f7fff93a144,
    pixels_ret=pixels_ret@entry=0x0, npixels_ret=npixels_ret@entry=0x0,
    mask_ret=0x7f7fff93a148) at minixpm.c:248
248	  *pixels_ret = pixels;
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000000040a3cf in minixpm_to_ximage (dpy=dpy@entry=0x751f9891d000,
#1  0x0000000000409d48 in xscreensaver_logo (
    screen=screen@entry=0x751f98938080, visual=visual@entry=0x751f9893a400,
    drawable=drawable@entry=48234497, cmap=cmap@entry=34, background_color=0,
    pixels_ret=pixels_ret@entry=0x0, npixels_ret=npixels_ret@entry=0x0,
    mask_ret=mask_ret@entry=0x7f7fff93a238, big_p=big_p@entry=1) at logo.c:49
#2  0x00000000004039ca in colorbars (screen=screen@entry=0x751f98938080,
    visual=0x751f9893a400, drawable=drawable@entry=48234497, cmap=34)
    at xscreensaver-getimage.c:319
#3  0x000000000040e5e0 in get_image (screen=<optimized out>,
    file=<optimized out>, dir=0x751f98908928 "", image_p=<optimized out>,
    video_p=0, desk_p=<optimized out>, verbose_p=0, drawable=48234497,
    window=46137828) at xscreensaver-getimage.c:1697
#4  main (argc=3, argv=<optimized out>) at xscreensaver-getimage.c:1994
(gdb)

I have enabled grabbing desktop images as a test, but it seems to behave
the same as with all sources disabled (dumps core, same backtrace as
above).  It does seem to work if I enable "Random Image" from a specified
directory.