Problem building digest in pkgcomp1 chroot

Trying to update my 8.0RC1 packages but I'm running into this error when trying to build digest:

===> Installing for digest-20160304
=> Generating pre-install file lists
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest/default/.destdir/usr/pkg/bin
mkdir /pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest/default/.destdir/usr/pkg/bin
/usr/bin/install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 755 digest /pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest/default/.destdir/usr/pkg/bin/digest install: /pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest/default/.destdir/usr/pkg/bin/digest: open: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

This is bug came in either from pkgsrc (or from 8-stable changes) in the last 2 weeks.

The same machine running pkgcomp with libkver setup for 7-stable can build digest just fine. pkgcomp1 environment is set up for MAKE_JOBS=8 but I get the same error even if I add MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no to the digest package makefile.

Some preliminary troubleshooting suggests that the mkdir commands are not actually being executed for some reason when run from the makefile. If I run the mkdir commands manually in the shell (in the pkgcomp chroot) and then redo the make install it succeeds.

Any suggestions on what I can do to troubleshoot this?

Mike