Re: Windows port?

On 29/05/2018 19:53, Jason Bacon wrote:
> Here's one more data point for this thread and then I'll shut up...
>
> I timed the pkgsrc bootstrap under Cygwin at 71 minutes, 37 seconds,
> minus my response times.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing some data showing WSL performing better than
> Cygwin, as I've seen a couple claims to this effect.
>
> From my perspective, the choice between them would come down to factors
> other than performance, as they both look pretty abysmal for system-call
> intensive tasks.

Just as a food for thought, consider these components as a means to
survive the struggle of being on Windows rather that making it a main
driver and by that I mean, run the binaries there, don't use it for
building.

When WSL was in beta, I had success running the binaries I build on
Debian 7.x without issue, this broke when I went to 8.x and eglibc
became newer than the version in WSL.

For cygwin, the idea is that you can normally cross-compile for it from
!windows but I suspect this will require further work from our side in
pkgsrc

Sevan