Re: Windows port?

After reading this thread, I bootstrapped pkgsrc on one of my WSL setups; it tool me less than  half an hour to download pkgsrc, extract it, read the list of the prerequisites for Debian, install them and go through the bootstrap. I don't think it was slower than on a NetBSD VirtualBox VM on the same hardware (decent enough laptop on a M.2 ssd). Just for fun I then proceeded to build editors/zile (as it brings another bunch of packages with it), that was over in another half hour (a small patch was required for zile, though).

I used the default location (no /mnt crossing), did not use the scripts at https://netbsd.org/~bacon/. As far as I can see it, it is completely useful for a class of packages (on this laptop I haven't bothered yet to install a local X server and run WSL GUI programs).

Other than that, WSL replaced a number of other programs I used to install before (e.g. ftp client, WinSCP). Add to this the now built-in under Windows 10 ssh server and you get rather useful tool for a mixed environment (one can also run the WSL sshd if required). Cygwin has its uses too, running on most Windows versions (and letting me access DDS tapes connected to the workstation, so no need for tar readers).

Chavdar

On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 10:02 Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 02:04:54PM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
> 2. Performance is intolerable in some respects.  It shows the same
> bottlenecks I'm used to seeing in Cygwin.  Unpacking the pkgsrc dist took an
> order of magnitude longer than it would on a real BSD or Linux system on
> this hardware.  GNU configure scripts in the pkgsrc bootstrap perform about
> 1 check / second, similar to what I've seen under Cygwin.  I get far better
> performance out of a VM guest running BSD or Linux under VirtualBox.

Were do you put the files? There is an open bug report about the
performance of the virtual mounts (i.e. /mnt/*).

Joerg