Re: net-snmp-5.7.3nb10

> Harvard, appreciate the response. Maybe I'll try it from source with a few
> tweaks and see what happens.
>
> It does seem strange that it would be listed under 7.1.1_current when in my
> mind it should not be given that it doesn't work.

The reason is that we don't have the resources to build and store
the results for both 7.1 and 7.1.1, especially if you factor in
the number of platforms we try to build for.  For the vast number
of packages this will not be a problem -- 7.1 binaries run just
fine on 7.1.1.  The stricter compatibility rules specified in the
packages for osabi and net-snmp make them the exception, and
regrettably makes them stick out like sore thumb.

Personally, I'd rather see these packages use somewhat more
relaxed compatibility rules, and I think they would basically be
fine, with the exception that use across major branches would
probably pose a problem.  (Normally, a package built on 6.1 could
be used on 7.1.1 without major issues, but I'm guessing that will
not be valid for net-snmp, for the reason I stated.)

Regards,

- Håvard