Re: Webserver users

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 06:28:17PM +0200, Nils Ratusznik wrote:
> We could have some generic meta-packages to handle basic use-cases :
> * Apache + mod_php ;
> * Apache + php-fpm ;
> * Nginx + php-fpm ;
> * Lighthttpd + php-fpm.

Again, why does it need to be a meta-package? What do you get over just
installing your web server and the PHP bridge of your choice? Ignoring
mod_php for a moment: nothing. Web server and PHP bridge are generally
completely orthogonal choices. Non-broken PHP applications don't care
either. I certainly hope the days of "oh, we only work with mod_php" are
over and developers should be stoned otherwise.

> It's 2018 : people use configuration management systems and automation
> tools to install a web server and its application(s). I'm in favor of
> removing any web server dependency (unless there is a good reason) from
> a web application. We could, as a courtesy and in order to help
> newcomers, add configuration snippets in the example directory. With
> some luck, some web application projects already provide them !

Yes, there should be no dependency on mod_php or php-fpm or whatever in
wordpress or any other PHP application. It doesn't serve a purpose other
than artifical restrictions.

Joerg