Re: Can't bootstrap pkgsrc on Solaris 10

* On 2017-09-13 at 07:58 BST, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 06:43:25AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > All packages, including pkgtools/cwrappers itself, seem to depend on cwrappers.
>
> > No, it doesn't.
>
> Last time, starting on a pristine NetBSD 8.99.1 amd64 installation
> (no packages installed), I was stuck on the cwrappers circular
> dependency.
>
> Only way past the circular dependency was to build
> pkgtools/cwrappers with USE_CWRAPPERS = no
>
> then reenable cwrappers.
>
> Has that situation been fixed in the past three weeks or
> thereabouts?

No.  If you look at this section of mk/bsd.prefs.mk:

  # Enable cwrappers if not building the wrappers themselves, and if the user has
  # explicitly requested them, or if they haven't but the compiler/platform is
  # known to support them.
  .if empty(PKGPATH:Mpkgtools/cwrappers) && \
      (${USE_CWRAPPERS:tl} == "yes" || \
      (${USE_CWRAPPERS:tl} == "auto" && \
       ${_OPSYS_SUPPORTS_CWRAPPERS:Uno} == "yes"))
  _USE_CWRAPPERS=         yes
  .else
  _USE_CWRAPPERS=         no
  .endif

you can see that it's impossible for the pkgtools/cwrappers package to
depend on itself.  That code hasn't changed substantially since 2015.

What likely has happened is that you are missing some fundamental tool
that pkgsrc requires, and that has caused extra dependencies to be
inserted prior to cwrappers.  In the past we have actively worked
around these (e.g. by setting PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE=none), so if you are
able to reproduce this issue and send us the full log we can see if
there's an edge case we've missed.

Thanks,