Re: Can't bootstrap pkgsrc on Solaris 10

* On 2017-09-12 at 06:48 BST, Julien Savard wrote:

> I changed _OPSYS_SUPPORTS_SSP to "no" in mk/platform/SunOS.mk. ( one
> of my goal was to use pkgsrc instead of opencsw so installing gcc
> from opencsw to compile pkgsrc was kind of out of the equation )

There should be no problem using the opencsw gcc simply as a bootstrap
compiler and then using pkgsrc for everything else, it's what I do on
my older Solaris hosts.  You'll avoid issues like the one you see
below.

> I copied /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/mk.conf.example
> to /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf.

You shouldn't need to do this, it's done automatically by bootstrap.

> However, I still have another issue. Not sure it's
> gcc related though. When I try to compile anything I get an error :
>
> ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
> ERROR: Circular dependency detected

It's hard to know exactly what the issue is without seeing the full
log, but this will be related to having such an old compiler to start
with.  One of the problems we have is that even GCC's dependencies
need a newer compiler to build, so you end up being unable to even
bootstrap GCC if you start with a compiler that is too old.

There might be ways to work around it by carefully avoiding certain
dependencies, but honestly it's much simpler to start with a newer
compiler to begin with, and you avoid issues with C++ requirements
that we don't fully support yet.

Cheers,