non-privileged package builds and embedded paths

I've brought up a shiny new vagrant host to build some pkgsrc binaries
in to deploy into a SUSE Linux environment as my non-privileged user,
rather than root.

although I'm principally interested in just bmake and mtree binaries[1],
I note that there are paths in each of these that reference (eg)
/home/vagrant/pkg/lib which is obviously not going to help me much in the
rest of my fleet as that's not my home directory

how should this be solved? is there a method for referring to these via
the current content of $HOME (ie $HOME/pkg/lib) or is that happening too
late in the dynamic linking process when I get to the point of running
them?

this is thankfully a moot problem for me at the moment, as neither mtree
or bmake are big enough to require external pkgsrc-supplied libraries
but I thought I would ask anyway - in my vagrant host I can certainly
create a user which mimics the one I would ordinarily use outside world
but this seems to be brittle if my home directory is different

... or should I look to creating static binaries only, in this situation?

Regards,
Malcolm

[1] because Linux distributions tend to have very old versions of these,
if they're available at all

--
Malcolm Herbert
mjch%mjch.net@localhost