Re: PHP 7.1 and compiler requirements

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 01:21:23PM +0200, J?rn Clausen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have started again compiling packages on Solaris 10. When it comes
> to lang/php71, pkgsrc insists on installing lang/gcc49 as a
> prerequisite. On NetBSD 7.0.1, I can compile PHP with GCC 4.8.4. On
> Solaris 11, I can compile PHP with GCC 4.8.5. On Solaris 10, GCC 4.8.5
> is also my standard compiler. Why is this version not good enough non
> that platform?

Hi joern, I added this as a workaround for a really crazy bug!
They are using two global registers for storing stuff for the
interpreter on the register-starved i386, and generated code by GCC
4.8.5 on NetBSD/i386 must have been trampling them somewhere, so it
would segfault while generating Phar.php.
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=74527

To make it easier than very esoteric code changes, I changed to a
minimum requirement of 4.9 on i386, although I think it might be
better to avoid using global registers on such a machine.

Interesting that it is working with the exact same compiler version on
Solaris!