Re: gtk3 and cups

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 12:46:00AM +0200, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> 			Hi,
>
> On 12/05/2017 19:15, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:00:41PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > > Any reason to insist on cups15 for gtk3? I managed to print via cups after
> >
> > Please go ahead.
> >
> > If someone really needs cups15 we can always make an option for that.
>
> What about Gtk+ 2 or further packages currently depending (even optionally)
> on cups15? I suspect there will be conflicts with cups, so then this should
> be done everywhere at once, right?

Did a bit of digging:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2014/06/16/msg013254.html

Seems to be the origin. Essentially cups 1.7.3 was shafted.

  https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/4831

suggests that at least one banner printing / packaging issue is
over since June 2016, so it might be worth trying the revert

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2014/06/18/msg107761.html
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2014/06/18/msg107762.html

experiment. I see that on the way net/netatalk22 switched back to cups
successfully this April:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2017/04/13/msg155307.html

which suggests things are getting better.

One suggestion on the way was to rename print/cups -> print/cups-base,
and create a meta-pkg/cups depending on print/cups-base and
print/cups-filters.

Cheers,

Patrick