Re: pbulk on pkgsrc_2017Q1 consistently failing to install build dependencies before aborting

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 15:24 +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2017-04-28 at 20:08 BST, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
>
> > I have started off with Jonathan Perkins instructions (thank you
> > for
> > your work on pkgsrc!) [1], continued with a slightly more recent
> > version [2], tried to adapt [3] to a similar setup and even
> > resorted
> > to the desparate measure of reading the handbook [4].
>
> Sorry, that one is a bit old now, and I should probably just remove
> it
> rather than let people find it.  Our current doc for setting up
> chrooted bulk builds on Linux/SmartOS/OSX is here:
>
>   https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/wiki/pkgdev:bulk
>
> I used this method to set up the daily Linux builds posted to
>
>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bulk/
>
> so I know it at least works on CentOS and Ubuntu, though I'd be
> interested to hear whether there are any issues on Fedora.

Thank you very much for that hint on the current documentation.

I cannot yet tell about the joyent setup, which I will test in the
next few days .

When running the mksandbox scripts inside docker containers, as I
eventually did, I ran into some interesting issues:

I run docker on Ubuntu 16.10 using ZFS, which I am thouroughly
addicted to. Then, when mounting pkgsrc as a volume into docker
containers, the pkgsrc directory _must_ reside on a separate ZFS
dataset for mksandbox to properly mount pkgsrc into the sandbox. The
same holds for any other volume mounts into docker, e.g. for
packages.

Secondly, with Fedora it was actually easier to compile, because some
packages, e.g. apache24, require a current openssl, which is provided
from the fedora:25 upstream, but not on CentOS.

Debian runs into some cyclic dependiencies which I have not yet
investigated (ENOTIME).

Thank you all for your help. Cheers!
--
Christopher