Re: bootstrapping on an older NetBSD without breaking existing installed pkgs?

On 29/03/2017 11:27 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Carl Brewer <carl%bl.echidna.id.au@localhost> writes:

I have an older NetBSD box that is due for upgrading, but it's not
going to happen for a few months yet, and it's got pkgsrc pkgs
installed on it that I would like to not break!
It's NetBSD 5.2.2 amd64

NetBSD kernel/base binary compatibility is awesome, so things will
basically just work if you binary upgrade the base system to NetBSD 6 or
even 7 and keep your packages.  You need to overlay the new system
without removing the libraries of the old system, but I am 99% sure the
normal upgrade path does that.   The "INSTALL-NetBSD" script in
pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage definitely does that, and that's what I've
been using since 2005ish.

I would take it to NetBSD 7, if that works, but would probably go to 6
first.   For each upgrade hop, you should boot the kernel and validate
that things work ok.   Everything should be ok except for firewalling
(may need matching user/kernel) and X11.

Thank you Greg, this is long-term what I need to do, for sure. The server doesn't run anything that's graphical, so the X11 stuff doesn't bother me :)

I did have a tentative stab at this not that long ago, but got lost in a mess of /etc changes that were taking too long for me to sort out at the time, so I just backed out and figured I'd try again later. Now, is later, I guess!

I understand that in order to continue to use pkgsrc on this older
NetBSD it will need to be a bootstrapped pkgsrc rather than the
vanilla pkgsrc that I have used in the past. Mainly, AFAICT, it's

I don't think that's true at all.   I have done "cvs up -r
pkgrsrc-YYYYQN" and pkg_rolling-replace for many years on box, with
exactly the user/kernel upgrades you are talking about.

issues with newer pkgsrc not liking the older NetBSD make.  bmake
seems to work, but there's some inconsistencies, and just making make
be a symlink to bmake is a little scary :)

Yes, newer pkgsrc requires newish make.   So yes, you can add
~/bin/make -> /usr/pkg/bin/bmake
and I have done that and it works.

I did too, but it does feel wrong!

But really you should first upgrade the base system.  Then you won't
have the old-make issue at all.

*nod*

Best procedure to use?  Short of upgrading everything to 7.1 that is
... it's on the list!

I would recommend that you put a 7.1 kernel in /netbsd and save the 5
one in /netbsd.ok.  If that works ok, then install userland.   Then
update pgksrc to 2017Q1 (not out yet, but it will be before you're
done :).  I say 7 because 6 has an old compiler and old X11, and
increasingly various things are breaking because of that.  We try to
keep packages working on 6, but 7 is the main focus.

Be careful about X11, if you need that.  7 is probably vastly better,
but things are tricky.

Then, either:

  wait for binaries from bulk builds and learn pkgin.  make a list of
  what you need.   Set aside your /usr/pkg and /var/db/pkg and start
  over.  Install pkgin and then add what you need.

  install pkg_rolling-replace.  Do "pkg_admin set rebuild=YES \*".  Run
  "pkg_rolling-replace -uvk".   When you have issues, first try to
  resolve them by removing packages that seem to be involved, keeping
  notes about what you removed so you can build those at the end.   Keep
  your tree free of stale working directories.

The pkgin option is going to be far less trouble.   You'll learn more
the other way :-)

In the past I've just run a cvs up on the source tree for pkgsrc every few weeks, run pkglint to see what's out of sync that I think was important, and then make && make update. It's been 99.9% effective for a decade or more with my use pattern.

I'm not even sure of what pkgin or pkg_rolling-replace even are. Time to RTFM :)

Thank you,

Carl