Re: Firefox + alsa + oss problem

he@ wrote:

>  * updating pkgsrc/www/firefox to pkgsrc-current (to pick up the
>    fix for the weird error message related to alsa which came
>    with the binary package -- this part may actually not be needed)

Maybe it's PR/51954 and martin@ fixed it, though the actual problem
(error on snd_pcm_set_params() in alsa + oss case) still remains.

ryoon@ says he managed to get alsa + oss working, btw.

>  * changed from alsa to pulseaudio via
> 	PKG_OPTIONS.firefox= -alsa pulseaudio
>    in /etc/mk.conf.  Since this is 7.0, I don't have kernel audio
>    mixing, and the kernel insists that only one process can have
>    /dev/audio open, so using other audio-using apps (e.g. mplayer)
>    after firefox has played audio becomes impossible unless you
>    first exit firefox, which is somewhat inconvenient.

alsa + pulseaudio (with the default pkgsrc firefox options)
should work with pkgsrc/audio/alsa-plugins-pulse and
~/.asoundrc that specifies pulseaudio like this:
 https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-teokureliveimage/blob/master/liveimagefiles/skel/.asoundrc

>  * since I don't run a session manager (call me old-fashioned, I
>    start my X session with "startx"), and consolekit is an
>    unknown factor that I don't use, I commented out the 6
>    consolekit related lines from /usr/pkg/etc/pulse/default.pa,
>    since pulseaudio otherwise refused to work.

Note per user pulseaudio config files can be put into
~/.config/pulse/default.pa etc.

On poor 32 bit machines it's also better to disable "shm support" in
daemon.conf, which requres 64MB in /var/shm tmpfs per client processes:
 https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-teokureliveimage/blob/master/liveimagefiles/skel/.config/pulse/client.conf

---
Izumi Tsutsui