Re: Firefox + alsa + oss problem

Hi,

I recently updated to the binary packages in pkgsrc-2016Q4 on
this amd64/7.0 laptop I have, and came out with a firefox which
could not do audio.

What I ended up doing was:

 * updating pkgsrc/www/firefox to pkgsrc-current (to pick up the
   fix for the weird error message related to alsa which came
   with the binary package -- this part may actually not be needed)
 * changed from alsa to pulseaudio via
	PKG_OPTIONS.firefox= -alsa pulseaudio
   in /etc/mk.conf.  Since this is 7.0, I don't have kernel audio
   mixing, and the kernel insists that only one process can have
   /dev/audio open, so using other audio-using apps (e.g. mplayer)
   after firefox has played audio becomes impossible unless you
   first exit firefox, which is somewhat inconvenient.
 * since I don't run a session manager (call me old-fashioned, I
   start my X session with "startx"), and consolekit is an
   unknown factor that I don't use, I commented out the 6
   consolekit related lines from /usr/pkg/etc/pulse/default.pa,
   since pulseaudio otherwise refused to work.
 * rebuilt firefox from source

and I once again have working audio in firefox, and it doesn't
block audio usage in other pulseaudio-using apps.

Regards,

- Håvard