Re: pkgsrc scanning performance benchmarks

On 12/2/2016 08:54, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 08:41:33AM -0600, John Marino wrote:
as an aside, I'm highly suspicious when I see PKG_INFO invoked just with a
scan.  I have a feeling most uses can be challenged, but I haven't even
begun the scratch the surface on any of this.

As I said, e.g. for gtk2, the x11 option affects the downwards
depedendency tree. The pkg_info call tries to extract the current
option, it doesn't distingiush between bulk build and manual invocation.

That's basically my point.  I think that's a logic flaw.
For PKG_INFO to work against a dependency, the assumption is that dependency is already installed. The makefile should be designed with the baseline that nothing is installed.

First the requirement to alter the package configuration based on what was already built needs to be challenged. Perhaps the reading of an option variable instead (assuming rather than testing).

This is the kind of policy consideration and creation I'm talking about. In my opinion, the current approach is wrong and this single example illustrates why. Ban PKG_INFO from being used in all package makefiles.

John

---