Re: ANN: Availability of pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, John Marino wrote:
Are you sure? "pkg query" is very powerful. Check "pkg alias"; one prebuilt query may already exist. I don't know yum so I don't know what "whatprovides" does, but I would be very surprised if pkg(8) doesn't do an equivalent.

Just re-read pkg(8). I could be wrong, but I still don't see anything that would provide a solution.

It's simple. If one knows the name of an (*uninstalled*) binary application, but not the package it came from you are screwed if you can't guess.

Example:

  I know I need /usr/local/sbin/reject. I don't have it. I don't know what
  package it comes from. There is no way to "ask" pkg what package that
  file belongs to when it's not installed. So, I'd have no way to know it
  comes from the cups package because the name "reject" has zero to dow
  with the name of the package ("cups").

You might be able to do some jiggery-pokery with the pkg data files, but that's certainly a far cry from saying:

yum whatprovides '*/reject'

You wouldn't believe how useful this can be to a group of sysadmins. Folks remember the commands they need, not the names of the packages they come from.

-Swift