Re: ANN: Availability of pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc

On Nov 13,  7:54am, John Marino wrote:
} On 11/13/2016 02:06, Thomas Mueller wrote:
} > I have some NetBSD installations, now idle pending update, following
} > a crash that corrupted the GPT partition table, though I subsequently
} > seem to have recovered all data.
} >
} > Can this pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc be used on an installed system with
} > many packages, or do I need to clean everything first?
}
} I haven't tested it and I wouldn't recommend it, but I think it would be
} possible to convert without cleaning first.  Your system would be rather
} nasty because everything that is previously installed will be without
} registration until they are rebuilt and reinstalled.

     That is a really serious flaw, and I don't see why anybody
would do that.  Here I was thinking that pkg(8) might be usable as
an alternative to pkgin(1).  Boy, was I wrong on that.  Basically,
you're trying to say that it is pkgsrc, but not pkgsrc.  I see no
real point in using pkg(8) on top of pkgsrc if it means completely
redoing the entire pkgsrc ecosphere.

}-- End of excerpt from John Marino