Re: teTeX/texlive and xettex

jtowler%soncom.com@localhost (John R. Towler) writes:

>  This is not a formal bug report.  I just redid teTeX from scratch
>  with the Apr 2016 pkgsrc.  It worked, but there was not enough TeX
>  memory for running xettex/xelatex with a Hebrew example file.  I
>  found where the memory configuration is but due to the complexity of
>  the arranged files, I don't know how to get the srcs in place, modify
>  them, and then build them again.  The memory stuff I found in
>  kpathsea/work/..../.  I couldn't get the pkgsrc db to be in sync with
>  what I wanted to rebuild.  Thanks for any help, this is a new problem
>  for me as of NetBSD-7.0, I have an i386 32bit laptop.

Can you provide the exact steps to reproduce?  Was running tex with the
example file part of the build, or something you ran afterwards?  Is
the file part of the distribution, and thus accessible to others?

Something as simple as "with no tex packages, and pkgsrc-2016Q1, do make
package-install in print/foo.   Then, run 'tex
/usr/pkg/share/examples/tex/.../hebrew.tex'. " would help a lot for
others to reproduce.

If there is a memory configured limit in kpathsea, then there are at
least two approaches.  One is for you to increase  the value in the
installed file.  A second is to patch the kpathsea config to increase
it.

A third is to file a bug report upstream.  While pkgsrc often patches
bugs, the basic notion is that if the upstream code has issues when one
follows the upstream build/install instructions, it's an upstream bug
not a pkgsrc bug.