Re: FETCH_USING won't drive aria2 in parallel in pkgsrc

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 10:36:02AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> W.r.t. bittorrent or similar, I suspect it needs someone to really drive
> this, and that it's harder than it seems.  I don't have any spare time
> budget for this, especially since it solves a problem I don't really
> have.  But good luck if you want to think about it!

I agree that it is harder than it seems. See ‘Problems’ section of [1].

I used DebTorrent when it was still maintained. It was latter
superseded by Apt-P2P [2], which apparently needed much less effort
to maintain. According to [3,4], popularity of both combined probably
does not exceed 0.1% now (in this rare case, popularity does matter).

If there was something like pkgsrc-p2p, I would surely want to use it,
but I think adding parallel download support is probably enough for most.

====
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebTorrent
[2] http://www.camrdale.org/apt-p2p/
[3] https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=debtorrent