Re: FETCH_USING won't drive aria2 in parallel in pkgsrc

Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I know pkgsrc has a FETCH_USING parameter that allows you to override it's
> default file-downloader.  However, I don't believe this will take advantage
> of aria2's parallel capabilities.  It won't allow it to branch out to all
> the master_sites at once since it'll only get passed one site at a time as
> they fail or time out.
>
> So, my real question is this: is there any reasonable way to use aria2 with
> pkgsrc and take advantage of the parallelism?

Currently, I don't think so.  But it could be reasonable to modify the
infrastructure so that some FETCH_USING targets are configured to get
all the master_sites values instead.

However, I'm not sure how mainstream this desire is.  I have a script to
update packages and one thing it does is run make fetch in the source
directory of every installed package.   I am hardly ever annoyed waiting
for this.

What kinds of things do you download that take lots of time, and what
kind of speedup do you get?

I wonder if some sort of bittorrent distfile mirror would be a better
solution (for Free distfiles only, of course, or at least those without
NO_SRC_ON_FTP, the same set that's on the TNF mirror).