Re: MACHINE_ARCH is now i386 on Darwin with ABI=64 (should be x86_64?)

* On 2016-01-27 at 23:16 GMT, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:43:24AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > > You'll need to re-bootstrap.
> >
> > I forgot to mention that you probably don't need to blow everything
> > away, and should be able to get away with simply rebuilding bmake with
> > the correct MACHINE_ARCH set, i.e.
> >
> >   $ cd devel/bmake
> >   $ bmake MACHINE_ARCH=x86_64 package
> >   $ pkg_add -U /path/to/bmake-20150505.tgz
>
> Could be perhaps change "devel/bmake" to set "MACHINE_ARCH" to
> "pkg_info -Q MACHINE_ARCH bmake" on Mac OS X? If we do that and
> bump bmake's version number upgrades should work properly.

Bumping bmake won't necessarily help.  There's no dependency on it in
the infrastructure like there is for e.g. pkg_install, so affected
users will still run into problems with any package they try to build
until they find out that they need to explicitly rebuild bmake.

I'm also very wary of adding special cases to bmake.  The whole point
of this change, while fixing the problem at hand, was to remove all of
these MACHINE_ARCH override hacks, so it'd make me twitch to see one
go straight back in again, especially as it would need special
handling to ensure it doesn't break bootstrap where pkg_info doesn't
exist.

So, given users will still be running into problems until they find
out they need to rebuild devel/bmake, and at that point will probably
see the hints in this thread about setting MACHINE_ARCH, I'm not sure
it'll help all that much, and not enough to be worth the cost of
adding more MACHINE_ARCH hacks back in, in my opinion.