Re: /etc/dhcpcd.conf correct permissions

Hi Ottavio

On Saturday 14 November 2015 17:05:14 you wrote:
> when right-clicking on dhcpcd-gtk icon, I select "preferences" and I
> get the error:
>
> Error saving /etc/dhcpcd.conf
> The dhcpcd configuration file is not writeable
>
> I have:
> $ ls -al /etc/dhcpcd.conf
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  1314 Nov 14 14:06 /etc/dhcpcd.conf
>
> And I see this in dhcpcd-gtk man page:
>
>     If dhcpcd-gtk is used to make configuration changes then the user
> needs to be able to write to the privileged dhcpcd control socket.
> See
>      dhcpcd.conf(5) for details.
>
> Then in  dhcpcd.conf(5) man page:
>
>  controlgroup group
>              Sets the group ownership of /var/run/dhcpcd.sock so that users
>              other than root can connect to dhcpcd.
>
> So I have commented the "controlgroup wheel" line out, restarted the
> dhcpcd daemon, the wpa_supplicant daemon and dhcpcd-gtk, and even
> rebooted but I still have the same permission error as above.
>
> Do I have to change permissions to /etc/dhcpcd.conf?

Currently yes you do - /etc/dhcpcd.conf needs to be writeable by the user
running dhcpcd-{gtk,qt}.
I will probably add an option to dhcpcd.conf to allow for updates via the
control socket similar to wpa_supplicant.

For the time being I've corrected the man pages here:
http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd-ui/ci/a01fcae4072935ca?sbs=0

I've filed a ticket against dhcpcd so I don't forget to add this:
http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd-ui/info/a388a1503cc3f8d2

Roy