Re: wip push- rebase first

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:52:58 +0200
> Hauke Fath <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 11:51:59 -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
>> > When pushing changes to the new wip.pkgsrc.org please
>> > try to remember and rebase first [...]
>>
>> I would very much like to see standard wip git workflow(s) explained,
>> say, on <http://pkgsrc.org/wip/users> - starting with the above,
>> slightly obscure "rebase" term...
>
> I don't think it is the job of pkgsrc.org to be a git tutorial site,
> and I don't think we should strive to be git tutors. That said we could
> and should provide pointers to good tutorials and documentation, because
> git can certainly be difficult to understand.

We shouldn't be tutors, but it is fair to ask for a definition of what
the project norms are, which is a subset of what's possible.

I would say what we should be doing is:

  For things that are not explicitly a feature branch, no merge commits.
  Specifically, no merge commits as are created with git pull (this
  suggests "git pull --rebase").

  Until we have a defined workflow with branches, don't use them.

  Each commit on master should have as its first parent ancesstor the
  previous main line of master.  (This follows from not having merge
  commits, but is the normal best practice to keep straight "what is my
  direct ancestor in development along this branch" vs "what just got
  merged in".)

I think this amounts to "do not use 'git pull'", at least for now.