Re: pkg_delete libreoffice leaves /usr/pkg/libreoffice* directory

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Thomas Klausner wrote:

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 07:33:18PM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
Well, earlier today I actually used libreoffice.  And now I'm trying to
remove it, but the /usr/pkg/libreoffice-5.0.1.2/ directory has not been
correctly removed by pkg_delete.

/usr/pkg/libreoffice-5.0.1.2/program:
total 36
-rw-r--r--  1 paul  wheel   5915 Sep  8 20:08 pythonloader.pyc
-rw-r--r--  1 paul  wheel  15350 Sep  8 20:08 uno.pyc
-rw-r--r--  1 paul  wheel  12533 Sep  8 20:08 unohelper.pyc

Interesting, why is paul allowed to write there?

paul is a member of wheel (and of several other groups)

The .pyc files are created by python as speed up when you access the
.py files, or when you explicitly compile them.

I know next-to-nothing about python and have never explictly referenced any of these files.

Is it reasonable for these files to survive a package deletion?

I also checked to make sure that there are no "complaints" from the pkg_delete command - it seems that a failure-to-delete is a silent error. I would expect it to at least report something similar to

The following directories are no longer being used by dbus-1.10.0,
and they can be removed if no other packages are using them:

        /var/db/dbus

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |