Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On Tue 14 Jul 2015 at 12:27:02 -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:04:56 -0400
> "Hugh Meyer" <hmeyer%meyermat.com@localhost> wrote:
> > One aspect of GIT is that it allows history to be changed and does
> > not track who made the change.
>
> Is that true?  Sounds like deal breaker to me.  Are you sure that that
> behavior can't be controlled by the configuration?

No it is definitely not true. Each state in the repository has an ID,
based on a hash, and

The writer above maybe is confusing "changing history" with "creating a
completely new and recognizably different chain of history based on some
combination of other parts of the history" (git rebase). This only adds
new history, clearly identified by who did it, and it doesn't remove
what was there.  People who have the original history still have it.
Operations like this are meant to be used before the original history is
published to any other repository, since this can cause confusion.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'