Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

			Hi all,

On 07/05/15 04:31, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 06:38:45PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>>> - hg is a dead end, due to git's momentum
>>
>> This is the one argument I will never agree to. Based on that, pkgsrc
>> wouldn't exist since $LINUX_DISTRIBUTION has much more momentum.
>
> And NetBSD needn't exist by the same argument either...
>
> NetBSD community is (or was?) known to make decisions based on Engineering
> merits / demerits of an approach and not by what is the talk of the town.
>
> It is sad to hear "Let's use X because that's popular" kind of voice on
> NetBSD lists.
>
> I am not suggesting stick to CVS. But if we want to switch to git, we
> should have Engineering reasons, not popularity metrics.

This horse has been beaten to death already, and its zombie after that.
There is this thread on Stack Overflow for instance:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/802573/difference-between-git-and-cvs

Git's popularity is a consequence of its technical merits. There is a
learning curve, but it sure is rewarding.

> As such CVS is not difficult to learn anyway. I am a small time
> contributor to wip. Never faced any problems with CVS. So, not sure, why
> fix what ain't broke.

I like CVS, when I work alone on a repository. Git is just that much
more convenient when it comes to distributing work, and experimenting
locally without network access and without sending hundreds of e-mails
around for each commit.

HTH,
--
khorben