Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On Jul 5, 11:56am, Benny Siegert wrote:
} On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
} > Maybe, but I have experienced the opposite with other projects on github:
}
} > I provide a fix to an obvious problem as a context diff against the latest
} > snapshot with like four lines changed (and an explanation why it fixes
} > an obvious problem). To do this I have to learn about stupid formatting rules
} > in the joke of a bug tracker to make the patch at least readable in the
} > ticket I am filing.
}
} This is mostly a barrier when you are contributing something through
} this process for the first time. Next time you'll know :) Don't
} ragequit.

     I'm with Martin on this one.  Unless the project is really
important to me, if you make me jump through hoops to give you a
simple patch, I'm not going to bother.  If projects want drive-by
contributions, they have to make it really simple.

} If you had done a pull request in the first place, you would not have
} to worry about the formatting. You can do the pull request completely
} from the browser:
}
} 1. Click "Fork".
} 2. In your fork, select the file and click "edit".
} 3. Make your edit.
} 4. Enter a commit message.
} 5. Click "create pull request".
} 6. If you want, add more text. Done.

     Not a chance!

} Think of a pull request as a bug with an attached diff. Yes, the
} process is slightly different but it will save the maintainers from
} having to fiddle with patches manually. Also, it will run the tests on
} the branch.

     Not my problem.

}-- End of excerpt from Benny Siegert