Re: Problem with print/cups (2.0.2, not 1.5nb12) (fwd)

Paul Goyette <paul%vps1.whooppee.com@localhost> writes:

> I'm still trying to figure out why cups-2.0.3 won't work with my HP
> printer.  I've installed the following packages (from yesterday's
> $PKGSRC)
>
> 	cups-2.0.3
> 	cups-filters-1.0.69
> 	hplip-3.15.6nb1
>
> I can define the printer to cups (using the web interface), and there
> are _four_ PPDs listed.  Two each for "HP Deskjet 2540 series, hpcups"
> and "HP Deskjet 2540 series, hplip".  (Each pair includes entries with
> "(en)" and "(en, en)" suffixes.)  I've tried all four PPDs, and they
> react pretty much the same:  Job starts, connects to printer, and
> hangs without completion.  The printer produces a single page with two
> lines
>
> 	%PDF-1.5
> 	%<upside-down-question-mark>

Have you disabled ulpt in the kernel, and are you using libusb (default
I think).   By default, NetBSD has a driver for printers that's write
only and good for basic printers, but I think hplip really needs to talk
bidirectionally and more complicated.

I have a Laserjet 1320, which is older and simpler (B&W laser, circa
2006), and it prints fine with cups15.

Are you able to print ok with cups15, and it's just cups-2 that doesn't
work?

turn up debugging in the cups config file and look at /var/log/cups/*.