Re: Problem with pdfTeX (I'm stymied)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:13:29 +0100 Marc Baudoin
<babafou%babafou.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> Ian D. Leroux <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost> écrit :
> > On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:31:52 +0100 Marc Baudoin
> > <babafou%babafou.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> > > /usr/pkg/bin/pdftex develop
> > > This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (Web2C 2013)
> > >  restricted \write18 enabled.
> > > ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdftex.fmt doesn't match
> > > pdftex.pool (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> > >
> > > I checked pdftex on a simple TeX file, I got the same error
> > > message (so it's not specific to the way math/pari uses it).
> >
> > Is the pkgsrc pdftex somehow picking up files from your independent
> > TeX Live install?
>
> As paths are totally different (TeX Live is in
> /usr/local/texlive), it should not.
>
> > For instance, which TeX installation created
> > /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdftex.fmt ?
>
> Judging from the date, it's been created by the pkgsrc version.

Well, so much for that shot in the dark.  Perhaps try regenerating the
format files with /usr/pkg/bin/fmtutil-sys?  It shouldn't be necessary,
but it might help distinguishing between a relatively trivial failure
to generate the proper format files at installation time and a more
serious inability to generate them.

I should have pointed out previously that I don't use the pkgsrc TeX
either, I'm just brainstorming.

--
IDL