Re: amanda 3 with scsi tape?

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:41:15PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I am now pretty sure that no one on NetBSD is successfully using tapes
>> with amanda 3.3.  I have the following patch, which I've sent upstream
>> for discussion.  The problem is that the autoconf checks for  mtio.h
>> etc. fail to include sys/types.h and sys/time.h, causing spurious
>> compile failures, and then amanda builds without tape drive support.
>
> Why is <sys/time.h> needed? mtio(4) only documents:
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      #include <sys/ioctl.h>
>      #include <sys/types.h>
>      #include <sys/mtio.h>
>
> and that should be enough.

You are right, but I should have said that the checks were for
sys/tape.h and sys/mtio.h.  It turns out the that it's sys/tape.h that
needs time.h.  Without it:

In file included from test-mtio.c:3:0:
/usr/include/sys/tape.h:70:18: error: field ‘attachtime’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/sys/tape.h:71:18: error: field ‘timestamp’ has incomplete type
/usr/include/sys/tape.h:72:18: error: field ‘time’ has incomplete type

(We don't seem to have a sys/tape.h man page.)

Amanda has taken my patch and applied a modified version of it (just
checking that sys/time.h exists before including it, and improved error
messages in the no-tape), so I'm going to put their patch in pkgsrc.

With the change I posted, amanda 3.3.1 did successfully do backups and
write them to tape.