Re: Binary pkg management.

Aleksey Cheusov <vle%gmx.net@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Steven Williamson <steven43126%gmail.com@localhost>
> wrote:
>
>> I might see if i can spend an evening getting my head round pkgin and
>> implementing a package "hold" feature. Seems to be my best bet so far.
>
> As for me it would be nice to have this feature in pkg_add/pkg_delete first
> and then in pkgin/nih or any other high-level package manager.

I can see how it might be nice for the base tools to define some sort of
hold/pin/exclude flag.  But I don't see that it's necessarily reasonable
for pkg_add/pkg_delete to enforce it.  Those are tools that are asked to
do very specific things and should do them.  A package manager on the
other hand is expected to implement large-scale operations and policy.

That said, I can see the notion that with a hold flag, a package
operation in the base tools that would update or remove a held package
should fail.  But then we need a flag to override that.   I would object
to saying "just use -f".  In general, use of -f by other than a human is
a serious bug, as all checks are overridden, not just the one that is
intended to be.