Re: postgresql versions

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

> I don't know about version progression in postgresql, but since 9.4
> came out I'd like to know if there really is a point in having so many
> different versions in pkgsrc.
>
> We currently have packages for 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3, and
> probably will get ones for 9.4 after the freeze.

As others said, the big issue is that you have to dump/restore across
branches.  People tend to stay on one for a long time.

I think dropping versions should only be done in the first 30 days of
the thaw, since people have to plan around this.  I actually have a
machine with 84 running.

Also, adam@ has been maintaining these very well.   So I would say that
if he's inclined to let them stay, we shouldn't push him to delete.

All that said, it is probably about time time to drop 8.4.