Re: postgresql versions

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:40:14 +0100
Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> wrote:
> I don't know about version progression in postgresql, but since 9.4
> came out I'd like to know if there really is a point in having so many
> different versions in pkgsrc.
>
> We currently have packages for 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3, and
> probably will get ones for 9.4 after the freeze.

Since 8.4 is past it's EOL date it should probably be dropped.  All of
the 9.x releases are still supported.  Version 9.0 will be EOL'd next
September at which time it probably makes sense to drop it.

There is an issue if you are using tsearch and haven't upgraded but I
would hope that anyone using that would have made the minor fixes to
use the new, built in tsearch by now.  It's been more than five years
and it is a specialized feature that wouldn't have been used by your
casual user.

Releases are supported for five years.  They were being released
in September but last year it shifted to December.  For details see
http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost