Re: postgresql versions

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 01:15:03PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
>
> Implies that both old server and new server need to be running on the
> same box. I wasn't aware our pkgsrc support that as they share the same
> rc.d script?

No, they should not be run from the rc.d scripts. pg_upgrade start them
with the appropriate options (which are not the same as rc.d scripts),
and stop them afterward.

pkgsrc doesn't support installing both versions at the same time, but
for the purpose of pg_upgrade, extracting the pkg tarball in /tmp
is enough (I've done it twice). I install the new version and extract the
previous one in /tmp, so that I can create the new database with
the new initdb.