Re: postgresql versions

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:15:03 +0000
Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
> > That hasn't been true since 8.3 which is not in the pkgsrc tree
> > anyway. The pg_upgrade program supports upgrades from 8.3.X and
> > later to the current major release of PostgreSQL, including
> > snapshot and alpha releases.  I have run it a number of times and
> > it has been pretty painless each time.
>
> Interesting.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
>
> Implies that both old server and new server need to be running on the
> same box. I wasn't aware our pkgsrc support that as they share the
> same rc.d script?

If you can't install the new version manually you can do what I do.
Create a chroot jail and build the package there.  Then, outside the
jail, you can point the new bin directory to the jail one.

Personally I always build package in a chroot jail anyway so I don't
need to do anything special.  After building the package normally (for
me) I simply run pg_upgrade and, if everything goes well, I move the
data directories, install the package I just built and restart PG.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost