Re: Messages out of sync? [textproc/icu on NetBSD 6.1.2 (GENERIC) i386]

"Michael A. Patton" <MAP%MAP-NE.com@localhost> writes:

> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> I don't know if it does that, but to me it looks like it does create a
>> backup of the installed version, 53.1, and then replace it with the
>> binary package of 54.1nb1.
>
> Well, the only package in the packages directory was for 54.1nb1.  I
> hadn't noticed that it claimed to be making it in "work" which it then
> deleted with a "make clean" right after dropping root privs, so I can't
> tell if it was doing what you suggest, but it might be.  In which case
> it's just that the messages are not sufficiently clear, I guess.  And
> doing that is just make-work in this case...

First, my standard comment: when pkg_rolling-replace does something that
surprises you, run "make replace" by itself, because all pkg_rr does is
choose the set of packages to replace, and in what order (actually it
calls make clean first, and make package afterwards also).  Then address
the underlying issue, because more people will be interested in that.

    => Creating binary package /nobackup/pkgsrc/textproc/icu/work/.packages/icu-54.1nb1.tgz

So this has built the binary package preparatory to replace.  Note that
it's in the work directory, because the implicit "make package" before
replace isn't supposed to create a binary package in /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All

    ===> Replacing for icu-54.1nb1
    WARNING: experimental target - DATA LOSS MAY OCCUR.

Not about your report: has anyone actually experienced an actual problem
From make replace (where updating with a binary package would have been
ok)?  I think we've been "experimenting" with make replace for 10 years,
with no real reported difficulties.

    => Becoming ``root'' to make su-replace (/usr/bin/su)
    Password:
    Terminal type is xterm.
    Creating binary package: icu-53.1
    Creating package /nobackup/pkgsrc/textproc/icu/work/icu-53.1

This is using pkg_tarup to create a binary package of what was installed
before, so that one can do "make undo-replace".   That package will be
deleted when you do "make clean".   It's possible we should stop
creating these, but it doesn't cost much time.

    ===> Updating using binary package of icu-54.1nb1
    /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_add -K /var/db/pkg -U -D /nobackup/pkgsrc/textproc/icu/work/.packages/icu-54.1nb1.tgz

This is the actual replacing of the installed binary.

    => Dropping ``root'' privileges.