Re: libvpx and gcc 4.4 dependency

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:51:32AM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:29:50AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > It is expected:
> >
> >  - libvpx sets USE_LANGUAGES= c c++, which means that
> >    mk/compiler/gcc.mk sets _USE_GCC_SHLIB due to requiring C++
> >    support.
> >
> >  - lang/gcc47/buildlink.mk adds a full dependency if _USE_GCC_SHLIB is
> >    set.
> >
> > Whether this is correct, I'm not sure - if libvpx really does use C++
> > but doesn't have any dependency on the runtime libraries then there's
> > room for some optimisation on NetBSD at least (other platforms
> > explicitly require _USE_GCC_SHLIB regardless).
>
> Thank you for the explanation! It looks as though libvpx's tests are
> written in C++, and as we configure with --disable-unit-tests, I will
> see if we can get away without the c++...

Sure enough, without the c++, I get a successful build without a dependency
on gcc47 - only

@blddep gcc47-4.7.3nb5
@blddep binutils-2.24nb3

no more pkgdep.

It seems that removing c++ from USE_LANGUAGES is correct. OK to commit?

(then begs the question for clang users if the CXXFLAGS are ncessary)

Next is to see how far back gcc removes its gcc_s dependency - given that
NetBSD 6 has gcc 4.5. (So far, 4.7 good, 4.4 bad) - or do you already know
the answer to that Richard?

Cheers,

Patrick