Re: x11/motif fails to compile due to library not found for -lintl

On 8/22/14, 8:48 PM, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> The patch adds a build-dependency include in devel/flex/buildlink3.mk
> for devel/gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk which causes the wrapper phase of
> x11/motif to create the needed symlinks, and then x11/motif builds
> successfully.

The patch works, but I'm not exactly confident it is correct.  It adds
the following two lines to devel/flex/buildlink3.mk:

===
BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.gettext?=   build
.include "../../devel/gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk"
===

But what if BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex is set to "full"
by whatever includes devel/flex/buildlink3.mk?  That
would mean BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex would be "full", but
BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.gettext would be "build" (assuming it has not been
set yet).  So maybe BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.gettext should always match
BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex?  In that case, the two lines added by the
patch should be changed to something like this instead:

===
BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.gettext?=   ${BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex}
.include "../../devel/gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk"
===

But this all makes me question the "BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex?= build"
in devel/flex/buildlink3.mk.  Why is that there?  I don't understand
that.  It seems like that should never be done inside a buildlink3.mk.
It seems like the default should always be "full", and it should be
up to the caller that includes it to set "BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.flex?=
build" before including it in order to change that default.  Otherwise,
every place a buildlink3.mk is included, the developer has to inspect
the buildlink3.mk to see whether it defaults to a "full" or "build"
BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.<pkg>.  That seems confusing.

Thanks,

Lewis