Re: How to remove pkgsrc orphan dependencies?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 20 June 2014 11:33, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>> autoconf213-2.13nb3
>>> gmake-4.0
>>> libtool-base-2.4.2nb6
>>> pkg-config-0.28
>>> zip-3.0nb2
>>> py27-sqlite2-2.6.3nb7
>>> x11-links-0.89
>>> autoconf-2.69nb4
>>> hal-0.5.14nb12
>>> cmake-2.8.12.2nb3
>>
>> Most of these are packages that are usually pulled in by
>> BUILD_DEPENDS. hal was a dependency of pulseaudio, but isn't any
>> longer.
>
> And that could explain all those orphan packages. I really shouldn't
> play with different branches at the same time.

It's not about different branches.   Those are needed to build things,
but not to run.   So if you're doing a cleaning pass, removing them is
fine.  They'll get rebuilt if needed.

In the glorious future, it would be cool to have a way to know that a
package is a BUILD_DEPENDS of an installed needed package, so that we
could have a different kind of "remove leaves" that would allow packges
like that to remain.

But I just rm them when purging, and nothing bad happens.