Re: startx doesn't start: can't find screens

    Date:        Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost>

  | I modified xorg.conf to comment out those now-defunct font paths,
  | but X still looked in those directories:

  | Or does modular-xorg-server not recognize # as making the rest of the
  | line a comment to be ignored?

The rest of your questions (the real ones) I cannot answer, but this one
that really doens't matter (having font directories listed that don't
exist is harmless) I can...

It isn't the comment character, that's fine - the "problem" is that the
X server has a list of directories built it, that it uses to search for
fonts regardless of configuration (in addition to configuration.)

If you want to remove the built in font paths, you need ...

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "UseDefaultFontPath"    "False"
EndSection

in xorg.conf