Re: Issues with Firefox 26 and sound (html5 videos)

Hi,

From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost>, Date: Tue,
21 Jan 2014 15:00:08 +0100

> On 21 January 2014 12:00, Ryo ONODERA <ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I can watch your video correctly with sound with firefox-26.0nb1 under
>> NetBSD/amd64 6.99.29.
>>

>> If your video's progress bar cannot progress, pulseaudio does not
>> work properly in many cases.
>>
>> $ pulseaudio --kill
>
> This first command generates this:
> bash-4.2$ pulseaudio --kill
> W: [(null)] core-error.c: Unable to convert error string to locale, filtering.
> E: [(null)] main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process

Have you enabled sysutils/hal properly?
How about the following command as root?

# /etc/rc.d/hal status

You should have the following or similar.

hal is running as pid 474.

If you cannot get "running", please see:
https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/using_pulseaudio/#index1h2

And mplayer works with pulseaudio.
Firefox is complicated software, mplayer's pulseaudio support
is suitable for pulseaudio's functionality check.
Please run the following.

$ mplayer -ao pulse your-favorite-video-file-with-audio.mp4

mplayer's message is easier to understand the status of pulseaudio.

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3