Re: Issues with Firefox 26 and sound (html5 videos)

Hi,

From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost>, Date: Tue,
21 Jan 2014 09:55:56 +0100

> On 21 January 2014 09:12, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>> You need to set up pulseaudio. See e.g.
>> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/using_pulseaudio/
>>
>> for details how to do that.
>
> Thanks Thomas, but now I've discovered that FF won't even play the
> video. I was fooled into thinking it was a sound problem only because
> the video seem to start but it actually hangs.
>
> I use this test page:
> http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody/test.html
>
> and any youtube videos.
>
> I can see the progress bar loading in the background but the video won't
> start.
>
> Has it got to do with video codecs?
>
> Where would one grab the codecs for V8/V9 (Webm) and Vorbis on Netbsd?
> Are included in pulseaudio?

I can watch your video correctly with sound with firefox-26.0nb1 under
NetBSD/amd64 6.99.29.

V8/V9/Vorbis codecs are built in firefox 26.0.
And if you want to play H.264 or other videos, you can use gstreamer 0.10
codecs to play H.264 or other videos. (But I have no idea what packages
enable H.264 video...)

If your video's progress bar cannot progress, pulseaudio does not
work properly in many cases.

$ pulseaudio --kill
$ pulseaudio --cleanup-shm
$ pulseaudio --start

may help you.

Or kill, cleanup-shm and reboot firefox.

And pulseaudio 2.1.nb12 or earlier is not stable, especially second
invocation of pulseaudio causes hang of pulseaudio.
You can confirm your pulseaudio version.

Thank you.

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3